Monday, January 14, 2013

One Word 365- Complete

I'm a bit of a New Year Resolution, Scrooge. January is the toughest month of the year for me. I'm coming down off of the holiday high, and everything takes more energy than usual to do. I love living in Washington, but one of the hard things about winter here, is that it is dark- pitch black dark- at 5:00pm. My resolve to do anything is quickly diminished by the fact that I am ready for bed at 5:30pm. I realize the start of a new year is a great time for some to start new habits, and regain strength for the year to come, but I just find myself tired and worn out at the beginning of January. Therefore, I've never really been one make resolutions at the beginning of the year. 

There are so many reasons blogging is food for my soul. It's been an outlet for my thoughts, a place where I can bounce ideas and thoughts off of anyone who will listen, and a place to express and encourage my creativity. The biggest reason I love blogging though, is that it has brought me some dear friends, who I wouldn't otherwise know, or know as well. Jenny, and Trischa are such ladies. So when Trischa mentioned this concept of "One Word 365," to Jenny and me,  I was immediately drawn to the idea, since I pretty much love anything she or Jenny has to say.

I may not jump on the resolution bandwagon, but I am a huge fan of bettering yourself and evaluating where growth is needed, and that is the exact concept of "One Word 365." Instead of a traditional resolution that says, "I will do this," or "I won't don't that anymore", the focus is picking a word, one word, for the year, that you want to emulate, and learn about. A commitment to understanding the depth and meaning of a word, and allowing it change you, is a concept I can wrap myself around. So, this is my pseudo New Year Resolution- to let my word change me.

It took me a few days to figure out what word I wanted to be attached to all year long, but once the word came to mind, I knew it was the right one.

My word for this year is Complete
.

The dictionary defines "complete" as...

having
all parts or elements; lacking
nothing; whole; entire; full

finished;
ended; concluded

to make whole or entire

to bring to an end; finish


This is what I am defining "complete" as this year. It's two fold for me.

A) I want to be a person who follows through with the things that I say I am going to do. I don't want to make empty promises to others- especially my kids. I desire to be a mom who will "complete" the things I say I am going to. If I say I am going to do something for or with my kids, I want to make those things happen, or not say anything at all. If I can't deliver, I don't want to commit, or even open my mouth. Those little ones deserve for my words to hold weight. Beyond my kids, generally speaking, I want to do for friends and family, what I say I will do. I know for me this is an area that needs improvement, and this year will be devoted to really focusing on following through for those I care about. It's easy to say you'll do something, then in the busy-ness of life, let it slip between your fingers.... No more.

B) The second part of the word "complete" that I want to emulate, is the alternate definition. Not the part where you say "I completed that task," but the part that says means "to make whole." I know that as long as we walk this earth, we will never be "finished," but I do believe that as we travel deeper and farther on our life's journey, that new pieces of our brokenness are revealed, or brought to the surface. If we choose to ignore that brokenness when we feel it, we simply remain broken, and therefore stagnant. I don't want to make choices the aid in my brokenness. Therefore, in the parts that I am aware of currently, I want to work hard to make my present broken parts "complete," or whole again. Maybe it will just be one thing this year, maybe it will be a snowball affect and there will be 10 things, but regardless, I want to be aware and working on wholeness in my life, and begin the journey of making those parts "complete."

Trischa, Jenny, and I will likely be posting on our "One Word" experience throughout this year. You can follow along, or not, but somehow, just putting words out there for the world to see, holds me accountable- which I need.

So, here's to throwing in the towel to New Year Resolutions, and doing something that might actually stick. I hope to "complete" this year being different than when it began.

No comments:

Post a Comment