Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Water From Rocks

Another post inspired by the book that is challenging my thinking. Yes, "Love Wins."

Jesus is wildly mysterious and undefinable. Our concrete minds, don't know what do with the "abstract." But, that is exactly what Jesus is. Abstract. He takes our ideas, and crushes them to show that He is bigger than that, He uses paradoxes to reveal His character, and uses the "impossible" to prove He is God. It's absolutely unfathomable to me, and I think I'm ok with that. The less I find that I know, the more I feel like I know God. See, a paradox. 

This post is in direct response to stories that were told in Rob Bell's book, from the bible. I say some of the same things that he does, but they resonated with me, and I think they are worth sharing...with my take on it as well :).

How's this for abstract? ...

In Exodus 17, the Israelites are complaining of thirst after being taken out of Egypt, and are mad at Moses, for taking them somewhere where they, seemingly, are not provided for. God tells Moses to take his staff, strike a rock, and water will appear. Moses did just that and there was water. 

Water From Rocks
Later in the bible, in 1 Corinthians 10, Paul says the rock that water sprung from was, in fact, Christ himself. Not that God used Christ to supply the water, but that the rock was Christ. 

I would have never put that together from reading, so I'm glad   Rob Bell brought that to my attention through this book. 

The point that he makes in 'Love Wins," that I believe is worth sharing is that, if Jesus was literally that rock, what else, and where else, could He be? Where else does He show up that we are not expecting or unaware of? Who's to say that the crazy spiritual experiences that you hear some people having, aren't actually Jesus himself, or that He doesn't do insane things to reveal Himself?

Jesus Feeds the 5000
Why is that story important, you ask? Well, this is why it is important to me. It says to me, that Jesus is not exclusive, that He is for everyone, everywhere. It says that He is available and real no matter what. It says to me that there are likely people that have had Christ revealed to them, in ways we don't understand from just looking at it (and I would add, who cares if we don't understand? We don't have to get everyone else's "Jesus" experiences for them to be legit). It says to me that the mystery of Jesus is found in the abstract, and that we cannot limit Him. It's says to me that He is the source of life. He doesn't give life, He IS life. It says to me that the love and grace He offers is revealed and given in ways that are personal, relevant, and a little paradoxical...

...And that's the beauty of it all. We don't have to understand the "why's" and "how's" of ours, or others' experiences with Jesus. So does that mean that Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, or Jews can experience Jesus? You bet they can. Can they respond to Him from that experience? You bet they can. Is it possible that people from different religions will be in Heaven? Absolutely. Why? It's because Jesus is for everyone, and will not be limited by the labels and parameters we put on Him, or His ability to show Himself to someone. Even the label "Christianity."- The underlined is a direct quote from the book, and I think it's fantastic.  Jesus will be whoever and whatever He wants to be and will engage with us in ways that are relevant to our situation at the time, and possibly a little crazy. No religion or group is exempt. Jesus' revelation is not just for a select few. It's for all, and he's not bound by our ideas and structures in how He chooses to show Himself.

Jesus Heals the Blind Man with Dirt
When we limit His ability to creatively and relationally meet anyone, anywhere, we are trying putting definition to the undefinable. Jesus is for anyone who wants Him. He is bold, provocative, and full of surprises. I love the Narnia movie series, and always swear I'll read the books. My favorite line in the "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe,"  is when Lucy and Mr. Tumnus are having a conversation about Aslan, as he is walking away on the sand. Mr. Tumnus, in response to something Lucy had asked says, "He's not a tame Lion," And Lucy replied, "But he's good." I don't think there is more powerful, or accurate picture of who God is. He is not tame, but He is good. Here are some definitions of the word tame...

-Tractable, docile, or submissive, as a person or the disposition.
 
-Lacking in excitement; dull; insipid: a very tame party.
 
-Spiritless or pusillanimous.
 
-Not to be taken very seriously; without real power or importance; serviceable but harmless
 
None of those sound like God and Jesus to me. In fact, I would say they are the exact opposite. They are water in rocks.  
 
Water Into Wine




When we are open and willing to accept that Jesus is a little crazy, a little non-traditional, and little mysterious, we find that that openness invites us into a world of thinking and experiencing with more depth, wonder, and love than we could ever imagine. Sure it's a bit risky, because thinking outside the box can be unfamiliar and feel unsafe, but some risks are worth taking, and I think believing that water can come from rocks, is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment