Friday, May 20, 2011

Pacifism, Torture, and Bill Maher. Oh my!

It's been 10 whole days since I've posted...Hello again! :). I actually started an entirely different post earlier this week, which I will eventually post, but when I saw this video I knew I had to write about immediately!

There are some choice words in the video, and yes, Bill Maher is wildly sarcastic, but the points he is making and the things he is questioning about Christians, is right on point. These are things that I have been, and am continuing to struggle with myself. I think it's healthy to look at what the world is perceiving Christians to be like, because there is some stuff that I just want to separate from, in the hope of becoming more like Christ. This entire video is explaining those things. So, get past some of his language, get past the fact that Atheism is "the worst thing ever" (said with heavy sarcasm), and accept that Bill Maher, too, has a story, reasons why he believes what he does- probably because he was burned by a few Christians in his day, and be open to what he saying. I think it's worth considering.


So, this video brings me to my point. Something with the death of Osama Bin Laden rocked my core. It's called into question, for me, what our attitude and response should be to death, torture, war, and the value of humanity, as Christ followers, even in the face of evil. Bill Maher's point about saying that if we believe in Jesus- the biggest advocate for non-violence and war, then we have to consider what some Christians are encouraging and advocating. 

Look, I'm smart enough to know that we live in a fallen world, where sin, pain, suffering, and unjust death are rampant. I realize fully, that because of those things we have war, and massive conflict, and the possibility of eradicating war all together will only happen when Jesus is fully ruling here. But, upon hearing of Bin Laden's death, something in my heart started to stir, and I think we have to consider what the life of Jesus modeled in the face of conflict. There was not an ounce of violence in him. Justice never came through taking someone's life- except his own, ironically enough (much different though), or physically torturing and/or hurting one another.

Peacemaking and conflict resolution begin with the inward, it's the call to examine our own hearts first, then extend grace outward. 

This is a new concept to me that I am wrestling with. How do we respond to the evil in the world without extreme force? Maybe we can't avoid war and the nasty conflicts that come up because of our fallen nature, but even though we may not be able to avoid it, we shouldn't celebrate the death of others and encourage torture and/or inhumane acts. Justice isn't stripping someone of their humanity. Shouldn't we be working hard to have a mindset more and more like Jesus. And if that is the goal, I think the complexities of war, torture, and massive conflict have to be wrestled with. The answer isn't simple, but I want to be aware and thoughtful.

I say all of this because I am in the middle of thinking about it myself. 

Let me again, be very clear that I have deep admiration and respect for those who serve in the military. I recognize that because we live in a world with war, there needs to be protection of the innocent and freedom. I am grateful, beyond what words could say, for the freedom I am given because of the sacrifice those men and women have made. They are class acts. 

Thanks Bill Maher, who I usually wouldn't resonate with, for saying what you did. I think Christians need a wake-up call in this area! I know I did and continue to.

I'm off to enjoy a very beautiful day with my two kiddos. Have a wonderful day, too, my friends!




3 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with the way you can articulate yourself and fully explain your thoughts without condemning or hurting others but rather respectfully challenging individuals. bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jenny. Those are such kind words. I appreciate them a lot. Thanks for being in my thoughts and offerin such wonderful encouragement. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being interested** in my thoughts! iPhone typo :)

    ReplyDelete