Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Son Ruined My Lipstick

A tweet from one of my favorite teacher/pastor/communicators, Greg Boyd, had me thinking this week.

"Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, THIS moment, RIGHT NOW, is a sacred moment, for you are engulfed in the perfect love of God."

I've said this before, but because motherhood requires constant energy, I don't find myself "enjoying every moment" of it. I don't know if we can ever really enjoy every single moment of every single thing, but sometimes there are moments in parenting where time seems to stop, and for that short time, you are fully aware of the magnitude of love, affection, and wonder you have for your children. I'd like to say that those moments happen often, but truthfully, they happen much less than the moments where I feel like I am working hard with little reward. But, those time-stopping moments are worth the tough in between times.

So on Wednesday, when I walked into
the bathroom and saw this happening....





I was frustrated that my lipstick,
which I obsess over keeping like this...





Now looked like this...



Please notice the pool of spit that formed in one
of the craters Cullen made


It was NOT a "time stopping," affectionate moment for me.
Even if Cullen is super cute and goofy.





But when a few minutes later, I read this quote while laying down with him to get him to sleep....

"Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, THIS moment,
RIGHT NOW, is a sacred moment, for
you are engulfed in the perfect love of God."

...I had a "time stopping" moment. For that short time, Cullen was all I saw. He was peaceful, quiet, and things seemed right for a few seconds. He had just said, "seeckle, mommy," which is his way of saying, "will you tickle my tummy?" Right as I read that quote, I felt overwhelmed by a love greater than the love I could ever give Cullen. It was a sacred moment, it was a meaningful moment, it was a moment full of engulfing love.

Then I realized, just as the moment laying with Cullen was sacred, so was the moment that he was playing with my lipstick. He was exploring, having fun, and doing exactly what he's supposed to at his age... be curious.

I can't say that I will be able to feel that way every time something of mine gets ruined, but for that situation, and that moment, I was able to gain some perspective. It was a great reminder to me that even when we don't feel like we are surrounded by deep love, we still are.

As you walk through your morning, afternoon, or evening, no matter what they look like, or how you feel, remember....

"...THIS moment, RIGHT NOW, is a sacred moment, for you are engulfed in the perfect love of God."

Love to you all,
~Jessica

1 comment:

  1. I think those are actually the best Mom moments... when something COULD (or should) make you lose it and you find a way to smile through it. Cullen, you look fabulous with a red lip :)

    ReplyDelete