Saturday, September 24, 2011

Everyone Loves a Good Pizza

If I could eat one food for the rest of my life, it would be pizza.

I LOVE a good pizza. 

This last two weeks, I made a commitment to my hubby to start cooking dinner for him. We've spent the entirety of our marriage with him being the chef, and it's worked really well. He loves cooking, and I don't mind cleaning. But, he has long hours, and though he enjoys cooking, I realized that it would be a gift to him if I had something ready, or at least in the works, when he got home.

The problem: I don't particularly enjoy cooking.
Baking is another story. I love anything sweet, so baking is much more enjoyable for me.

The solution: Meal Planning for the week
Easy meal planning that is

In my quest for easy meal plans, that take little prep work, and are done fairly quickly, I remembered my love for pizza.

I found a recipe for a Salami and Provolone calzone, and Bobby and I decided to make it into a pizza instead. We love calzones, but neither of us were in the mood to meticulously fold the dough and chop up the ingredients at that time.

SO, the Salami and Provolone Pizza was born!
Are you read for this? It was amazing and we WILL be eating this again very soon.


INGREDIENTS 

1- Uncooked Dough
We used whole wheat dough from Trader Joes.

2- Salami
Any grocery store sells them in the sandwich meat section.

3- Provolone Cheese
If you get the sliced kind that comes in circles, it's so easy to put on the pizza. No grating, less mess, and for a cheese lover like me, good coverage.

4- Mozzarella Cheese
We used the already grated mozzarella to sprinkle on top. 
The mixture of the provolone and mozzarella is absolutely de-lish.

5- Olive Oil

6- Parsley

7- Basil

8- Flour

9- Salt and/or Garlic Salt


10- Pizza Stone or Pan to cook pizza on

HOW TO 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

-Throw some flour on a large surface: a counter or big cutting board

-Take out your dough and put some flour on it as you begin to roll it out, so it becomes less sticky

-Use your hands and/or a rolling pin to roll the dough into a pizza circle
This is the part I like the least- Bobby always helps me, because I get frustrated trying to get the dough in a perfect circle. The OCD comes out!

Once you have the dough rolled out, and it's a good consistency- not too sticky, not floury- you're done with the dough prep.
Set the dough aside
  It's time to make the olive oil and herb mixture to cover the dough

Pour a little bit of olive oil in a ramekin or bowlYou don't need very much, maybe half a cup? You can use your discretion on this one. You just need a nice covering, so the bigger your pizza the more you might need.

Throw in some salt and/or Garlic Salt- as much as you'd like

Finely cut the parsley and basil. Mix it in with the olive oil

Spread the olive oil mixture over the dough before the toppings. This will give the crust a really nice fresh herb taste.


It should look something like the picture below




Now the fun part- TOPPINGS!

Our favorite way to top the pizza: Salami on the bottom, then the Provolone Cheese on top of the Salami, more Salami, and finished it off with Mozzarella cheese sprinkled on top. 
You, of course, can do it however you'd like. We love lots of toppings, so we just went for it!

Put in the oven, and cook for 20-25 minutes

Then, enjoy!


If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at
jmcadriel@gmail.com
I'd love to hear how you like it, if you make the recipe.

Happy Pizza Making!



No comments:

Post a Comment