Monday, July 18, 2011

Yummy Fruit!

I've been thinking a lot about the fruits of the spirit. 

How do you reconcile the verses....

"By grace you have been saved, and not of yourself" 

and

"Faith without works is dead?"

For quite some time I've tried to reconcile the idea that grace by faith has freed me, but then I have to do things to prove it, or earn that gift? That's not a gift if there's major strings attached.

I have had a bit of a paradigm shift these last few months, and it has radically changed the way that I view and experience scripture- Geez, and everything else in my life. We'll stick to the point of scripture, though...
I've been listening to sermons by Greg Boyd, during these last few months, and let me tell you, this guy is right on. Right. On. I couldn't articulate the contradiction I felt in those verses until I heard a sermon he gave about it. Brilliance.

Wanna hear about it? I'm gonna tell you. Bear with me; it will all come full circle...I promise.

There are two kinds of ways we experience rewards and consequences.

Extrinsically and Intrinsically

Those are big words for Outward and Inward. No worries, I had to learn what the words meant as well.

Allow me to explain...

An outward, or extrinsic, consequence is this: You steal something, you go to jail.

An inward, or intrinsic, consequence is this: You smoke for 50 years, you'll probably get emphysema.


Can you see the difference? 
 -One is an outwardly consequence because of something you've done.
 -The other is a natural consequence of certain kind of behavior. No one has to inflict a certain punishment over you, some things just bring about certain outcomes by nature of what they are.

The same goes for rewards....
An outward, or extrinsic reward is this: If a child has had good behavior, you give them a cookie.

An inward, or intrinsic, reward is this: If you eat healthy, you'll feel better. 

Can you see the difference in the rewards? 
-One is reward because of something you've done.
-The other is a natural manifestation of eating healthy.

Western thinking in the last 500 years, is very "cause and effect," very legal system, thought based. Very extrinsic. Therefore, we've been taught that in order to display the fruits of the spirit, you must do certain things. As if there is a checklist for each attribute named, that if you follow, then you will have "patience," or insert any other one of the fruits. Like the "cause," your checklist, will yield a certain "affect," the fruit.

BUT...

The fruits of the spirit are intrinsic! 
And that changes everything.
They are a natural manifestation of the transformation, grace, and love you experience in your soul, through the amazing gift of Christ. They are not about deeds and rewards.

So, back to the beginning. 
Here is how, then, those two verses that started this post, are reconciled....

We are saved by grace, through our faith, which will always be a gift without any strings attached. Our faith is not dead if don't do certain things, rather, it means that a faith which isn't being watered and nurtured, won't begin to produce certain things; it's dead- not growing. Not dead, as in you're not doing enough. As we understand and walk in the "good news," we are internally changed, we become more healthy, and more whole. See, what I'm getting at? It's natural- it's a certain way of life, bringing about its natural outcomes. We all know an unhealthy tree can't grow and produce healthy fruit. Therefore, a healthy faith-one that is being nurtured, is going to bring about the fruits of the spirit more naturally, because growth is a sign of health. 
Christ always works from the inside out. It's never from the outside in. That's why those verses can be reconciled. He gives us the gift of life, then as we water our "tree" of faith, if you will, fruit will appear. Faith isn't dead because you didn't follow a checklist- checklists breed legalism. A faith is dead, not bearing fruit, because it's not getting taken care of. That's heart issue, not a behavior one. That's intrinsic, not extrinsic.

This is how you know that you're bearing fruit- or at least my gauge, for myself on it. Our first reaction to things, can usually be one that is impulsive, driven my emotions, and not always the most kind. When I notice that my first reaction to something is different than usual, I know I am being transformed. When someone at the grocery store ahead of me in line is taking forever, and instead of reacting with annoyance and frustration towards the cashier about it when my turn comes up, I greet them with a smile and graciousness. That's not me. That's my spirit. When I feel so anxious, stressed, and overwhelmed, but am somehow able to find peace, that's not me. That's my spirit. When someone hurts me, and I don't try to hurt them back out of spite. I know that's not me. That's my spirit. And when I want to yell at my kids for fighting, breaking things, and making ridiculous messes, but instead I say, "It's ok, we'll figure it out," with gentleness and patience, that's not me. That's my spirit.

There are many days where I fail miserably at every attribute in the fruits of the spirit. I'm mean, impatient, selfish, easily annoyed, and quick to anger- yesterday was one of those days. But, that's when I'm grateful for the new mercy that is offered every morning. God whispers, "It's ok, we'll figure it out," and not only gives me another chance, but helps me clean up the mess. That God knows how to bear fruit, I tell ya!

This has also given me great freedom, knowing that I don't have to do anything. Everything will come naturally out of the nurturing of my communion with Christ. My insides are completely different. It's really quite remarkable how it all comes together.

Here is an art print that I am going to buy for our home, to remind to keep pursuing the true, good, and beautiful.



Go have yourself a wonderful Monday



No comments:

Post a Comment