Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"Hold On To Your Fork"

I bought an art print this last spring to put in our new place. It sits in my kitchen on a shelf, and I look at it daily. It's funny how when you see something everyday it can lose its luster. When something is in the same place all the time, it easily becomes one with its surroundings. Well, today I looked at it, and actually saw it, again. I was reminded once more, why I purchased it in the first place.


"Hold On To Your Fork"


There's a story behind a story with this print, so I'll give you a shortened version. There was an old lady who loved her dessert after dinner. When she was done with her dinner, and all the silverware was being collected, she would always hold on to her fork because, "dessert is the best part." When she was closer to her last day of life, she requested that she be buried with her fork in hand, as a reminder that "the best is yet to come." She had no fear of death, or sorrow in leaving this earth. She was ready, eager, and even living in anticipation for the what was to come. Emily, at Jones Design Company, designed this print after hearing that story, and I immediately loved it.

That story inspired me because I have lived much of my life in fear of what is to come. Since there are many uncertainties and questions in this world, the words,
"hold onto your fork"
became a reminder to me that my hope isn't solely in what I see. It doesn't come from things, stuff, or even people. Though people can bring hope to others, the very essence of hope is found only in one place, and that's what I knew I needed to start truly tapping into. My perspective has shifted in small ways since then, and I've begun to see how hope is essential in walking through life.

I am tired this week. In every sense of the word. Both of my kids have been sick, we've been home bound since Sunday, my Christmas spirit has been dampened from the weariness of life's bumps, and I am feeling a bit defeated. I realized this morning, I am in need of some hope. As soon as that thought popped up into my head, I remembered my art print in the kitchen. I immediately looked at it and began to let the words, and significance flood my thoughts, like they did when I first purchased it. 

I asked myself, "What is my fork?" What do I hold on to, that reminds me "the best is yet to come?" What is worth clinging to, saving, and fighting for?

Then I was reminded of the entire reason that Christmas even exists, and how that is most certainly the source of all hope.

It's Wednesday, and I feel like the week should be much further along, or over. I'm exhausted and drained. BUT, I am trying to cling to the truth that I know, and just wanted to share this with you, since it's been encouraging to me today...

Even in the midst of life's curve balls, questions, and fear of the future, I am holding on to my fork.
When things get heavy and tiresome,
try and hold on to your fork too.
~Jessica


Art print was purchased from one of my favorite blogs,  www.jonesdesigncompany.com
Enter at your own risk: You might get sucked in for hours!

3 comments: