Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Introducing Pentatonix and Afro-Blue


I love reality television singing competitions

 I get excited whenever I see previews for "American Idol," "The Voice," and "The Sing-Off."
Then I anticipate them each week after they debut.
All three shows have a uniqueness to them that I really enjoy. I will admit that I think "American Idol" has gone so mainstream, that sometimes there are parts that bug me, but overall, it's still a great show. 

I really hope they decide to bring "The Voice" back for another season, because I thought it was such a creative spin on a singing contest, plus Adam Levine. Wowza.
Ok, back on topic, Jessica.

This brings me to the "The Sing-Off." It's currently airing on Mondays on nbc.
What an absolutely ingenious concept for a show.
Have you heard of it, or been watching it?
Quick Synopsis: 16 acapella groups compete for a record contract.
There's no instruments, only voices.
In-cred-i-ble.

Here is why "The Sing-Off" is one of the best things on televisions right now.
You can you can be a reality television star, and be a "no talent ass clown."
("Office Space" quote. Not my words, but oh so fitting).
People become famous for nothing other than their looks, clothing, and the drama they have in their life. I'll admit that I have been a reality tv show junkie, and enjoy watching the silliness in others' lives. I'm rethinking my reality tv intake, but that's a different post.
Then there is a show like "The Sing-Off" that redeems reality tv and proves that good television does still exist.  In an industry where "sex sells," this show doesn't do anything of the sort. It gives you singers with the most real, and raw talent there ever was. There's no frills or tricks, you only get on this show if you are good at what you do. There is not a single person who walks across that stage, that isn't gifted. THESE are the kind of shows that are worth watching.
There is something so beautiful and mind-blowing about watching
these groups perform. They are being showcased for their hard work, not their wardrobe, and for their pure talent, not the conflict or craziness in their life.
For that reason alone, I love this show.
Maybe I also really like this show because I feel like I'm getting to live vicariously through those singing, since I miss doing that myself. Either way, you can't watch this show and not be reminded that there is good in this world. I'm telling you, music does that. It shoots through you and reaches straight for your heart- even more....your soul. There's nothing like an amazing song or voice, to do the shooting.

The entire reason I wanted to do this post was to show you a few videos of the two groups I'm rooting for. Even if you don't watch the show, just watch these video and appreciate
the amazing talent these groups have.

Pentatonix
"ET"- Katy Perry


Seriously, this guy. You wouldn't expect the kind of voice that comes out of him, but his is my favorite male voice of the competition. Check out the ridiculous riff he does in his voice right around 1 minute. What? Who does that?!



Afro-Blue
"Put Your Records On" Corinne Bailey Rae
The girl who takes the lead in this song has one of the most beautiful, smooth, and delicious voices a lady jazz singer could have. She does more than do this song justice, she owns it.
(the words and picture is backwards- it's all I could find on youtube right now. You get the gist.)





Afro- Blue
"American Boy"- Estelle




I've probably replayed these videos a million times each. I'm hooked!

You can watch these videos and be reminded that there are still talented people out there that the television industry is willing to showcase. Just when you think entertainment is getting ridiculous, in walks "The Sing-Off."

Now go sing in the shower or your car :)
~Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment