Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday Latelies- Sometimes a Rant is Necessary


Annnddd another week has already flown by.
Let's link up with BEX, and do some Thursday Latelies!

I feel like I always have a lot running through my head, but I'm choosy about the things that actually come out. Well, this week you get a little rant from me. Maybe it's more like passionate thoughts being said out loud, but this is your heads up that I'm speaking my mind in this one!

Enjoy my random piece of hair sticking out...the entire video. Can you tell it annoyed me?




How to Handle Tough Emotions
-In my opinion, at least-

1) Sit in it
Don't deny what you are feeling. We were given our emotions to express and articulate. We are wired to feel. Don't just brush something off. Be ok with sitting in how you feel.

2) Sit WITH someone in it
If you're not  feeling yourself, but someone you love is, don't be afraid to hold someone's emotions with them. I'm sorry, but no one wants to hear cliche's and pat answers about "why" something happened, because at that point, it doesn't matter what happened, you're feeling what you're feeling no matter what. Fight the desire to try and find an explanation, and give empathy instead. Pat answers minimize emotions, and shuts down conversation. Being a presence, and saying, "I'm sorry, that really sucks," is much more impact  than saying, "Oh, God has something better!"
Who really knows that anyway?

3) Be Fine Without All the Answers
The more I learn, the less I know.
There is so much that we don't know, that when we give "matter of fact" answers to "gray" issues, it can do more damage than good. I understand it's hard to have peace when there is uncertainty, but in the last few years I've found more comfort in accepting the mystery, than buying into ridiculous, disingenuous answers to complicated emotions and situations.

Just my two cents, on the issue of "fear of emotions" and responses to them.

Now the lighter stuff :)

NYC "Canal Street" Nailpolish

Fun color. Brownish Red, with more brown, and hint of gold-ish glitter.
To me, it's "all fall," and goes with lots of the fall colors I already love.




Redken Blonde Glam Conditioning Treatment

Calling all blondes! Does your hair turn brassy, like mine?
This conditioning treatment has kept my hair the shade that I like it for the last two weeks since I got my hair done, and I've seen zero fading or brassiness. Check it out if you are like me, and want to keep your blonde just how you like it!

Bobby's Delicious Chili

I know I said I would share the recipe, and I will. I thought it would be easier if I did a separate post, so it's the only focus. I promise I will post it before Sunday, so be on the look out!
BUT, here is a picture to hold you over until I post it.




Thoughts or questions about anything in the video today?
Email me at jmcadriel@gmail.com

Next Thursday should be a good one! I'll have Bobby's Birthday AND Pumpkin Patch pictures/fun to share with you, so be here!

Have yourself the best.week. ever.

~Jessica

3 comments:

  1. "We are the plan" oh maaann, I love that! Pastor Ryan said something similar to what you were saying a while back -- just because we are Christians doesn't mean we are supposed to have all the answers :) He was talking more about discussing faith with non believers but it still was so refreshing to hear and I loved this outlook on tough emotions.
    (this is Andrea from PB Handprint... having ISSUES getting comments to work for me on blogger, argh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, Sista!! I have those same thoughts SO often! One of my FB friends is going through a terrible situation at the hands of someone who has made some awful decisions. It has been devastating not only to her, but also to her two kids. She posted something about having a really terrible day dealing with that as well as people at her job and the first comment someone made was "Remember, God only gives you what he knows you're strong enough to handle!" O.M.G. Are you freaking kidding me?? There are SO many things wrong with that. Like she deserves have her heart broken and to sit and watch her kids suffer because God thinks she's a "strong" person? Like God made someone mistreat her because she can "handle" it? People! (Sorry... got a little carried away with my own rant.) Compassion and just being there are a million times better than stupid, ill-conceived cliche's.

    I love chili for Fall too! We always eat the leftovers on spaghetti, which I guess is a Midwest thing, but I love it. Also, I love the new look of your blog! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea- I have definitely heard Pastor Ryan say similar things as well. I think he has an awesome outlook on emotions, and the biological/mental part of what's happening when we feel the way we do. I think he's so solid in the way he thinks. Have you been attending the Sammamish Campus? I've been going to the 11:20 service. I'd love to bump into you sometime :)

    Trischa~ You are 100% speaking my language. Rant away!! :) I get so angry when anyone says, "God won't give you more than you can handle." I could use very strongly language for how I really feel about that phrase, haha. The implications of what the really means is almost too much for me handle- pun intended. That God gives us awful things simply because we can handle it- it's ridiculous. I feel so awful for your friend. It's hard enough that she is going through something really painful, but to add such damaging and unhelpful religious comments, makes it so much worse. You said best, compassion and just being there is better than any cliche. I love your perspective so much!!

    Chili on spaghetti, huh? I can't say that's even crossed my mind, haha. I bet it's delicious though. I feel like you can't ever go wrong with noodles :)

    Oh, and thank you for the compliments on the new look! I appreciate it- it was fun to revamp.

    Sorry for the delay in response to you both! I hope you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete